Re: [STDS-802-11-EDITORS] Draft REVmc MDR

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Editors' Reflector ---

Hi Adrian,

> Regarding "is set to",  I will admit there are many occasions when the usage is ambiguous.   My take on this is that when it
> relates to putting a value in a field,  or is a reference to the value of a field,  in the context of putting the value in the field,  or
> possibly in the context of what to transmit, "is set to" is correct.

As per the description related to Style 2.3, it reads

" The verb “set” should only be used when describing how a field
obtains a value, e.g. “The Measurement Duration field is set to the
preferred or mandatory duration of the requested measurement,
expressed in units of TUs.”"

and

"Where the value of the field is read or referenced, (e.g., in the
context of a condition), °is set to" shall not be used.".

For me, I will interpret this rule differently with the first two
examples you mention:

> So,  looking at some at random from your long list:
> 146.56: " Beacon frame is transmitted during active scanning with the Discovery Mode field set to 1"
>
> I think this is one of the ambiguous cases.
>
> 426.56: " If LinkMetricRequestFlag is equal to REPORT_ONLY, the Request subfield is set to 0. "
> This clearly describes the act of setting the contents of the subfield,
> so it is OK as is.

It is because both describe a scenario that the value of the
field/subfield is read in the context of a condition.

I would definitely review the case again but I would like to ask for
an appropriate interpretation on this rule.  Please kindly advise.

Regards,
Edward