Re: [STDS-802-11-REG] FCC 3.5 GHz Spectrum Access System workshop

Slides, video at [video time hacks in square brackets]

http://www.fcc.gov/events/35-ghz-spectrum-access-system-workshop

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler January 14, 2014
<>
The system in 3.5 GHz and how you are going to make that manifest is more than an interesting intellectual exercise that it is, [3:35] its more than an interesting building of the next generation of technology, which it is, we are talking about nothing less that defining what future decades are going to look like, and how future decades are going to communicate.

My message to you all today is really simple: Small Cells and Sharing Spectrum are priority for this Commission. We believe firmly that out of this comes new opportunities for innovators and for consumers.

We are doing a small thing called an Incentive Auction. [4:57] It is going to have the impact of reshaping how we think economically about spectrum going forward. You all are working on Spectrum Sharing, Small Cells, that's going to rethink how we deal with the scarcity of spectrum, and the increasing demands on spectrum going forward.
***Those things combined, just those two things combined, truly are transformational and decisive in terms of where we go as a country, where we go as an economy [6:05], and the way in which the infrastructure that we're all talking about ends up shaping not only commerce but culture. This is serious stuff. I can see the vision. How you really pull it off, that is tough. We need to produce results, this is not an exercise, and two, we need to produce results in all due haste.

***Preston Marshall, Google [31:30 to 40:45] How a Spectrum Access System can enable effective and diverse spectrum access. We started with a three tier access, Federal (including Federal LTE), CMRS, Wi-Fi hotspots. 80% of the traffic will be outside the CMRS going forward. The Federal government will buy and deploy LTE as primary, so protecting the second tier from the third is the same as protecting the primary from the second tier. Technology specific optimizations should be outside the SAS. Every time we partition spectrum we introduce inefficiencies.

*Mark McHenry, Shared Spectrum [269:00 to 275:50] Spectrum Sensing conclusions

*Amit Jain, Spidercloud Wireless [276:22 to 283:30] 3G and LTE small cells do Spectrum Sensing and communicate with a small cell controller. [281:53] The SAS of the small cells could use indoor spectrum sensing to verify the locations reported by the small cells is correct, the spectrum signature in itself could be a way for location instead of GPS.

**Peter Ecclesine, Cisco [283:58 to 290:14 How IEEE 802.11af will be used in spectrum sharing.

Q&A [308:15 to 310:30, 321 to 335:30] What is the Priority Access user getting?