[STDS-802-11-TGAH] 802.11ah progress to SB

G’day all

I have been one of the main protagonists in the debate about LoA’s for 802.11ah in the context of the LB.  I am unable to attend the  session in which the comments will probably be resolved (I will be in 802.19 talking about LAA), but would like to make my views clear.

I would like to start by thanking all participants in the debate, particularly Sean, Rolf and VK. The debate highlighted the effectiveness of IEEE 802 processes, by allowing participants to raise and discuss important issues . More importantly, the debate led to a situation whereby the LoA situation on 60+ asserted standards essential patent is much clearer than it was 2 months and 4 months ago.  The documents made available by Qualcomm and its employees a few weeks ago and early this week were key for me. While the delay to resolve this issue was unfortunate, I believe it was justified by the outcome.

While I have remaining concerns about the way the issue was resolved, those concerns go well beyond the scope of TGah or the WG. For that reason, I support the progress of 802.11ah to Sponsor Ballot based on the rejection of the remaining open comments.

Andrew Myles