[STDS-802-11-TGAI] Concerns with the draft 11ai security text

I had an action item to provide my issues with the draft security text (assume baseline as 1045/r4). There were two general issues:

1. What functionality or advantages do we lose when we lose the EAPOL key frames?

A specific example is that the multi-band operations introduced in 11ad require use of fields which were added to EAPOL key frames 1-4. If we don’t have the EAPOL key frames in the 11ai mechanism, and we want the multi-band operation, then we need to do some extra specification work. This should be do-able but there may be an ongoing requirement to maintain this part of the multi-band functionality in more than one place in the 802.11 specification.

I need to review further to see if there any other similar issues.

2. Will 11ai fast initial link setup be fast for low power, CPU-challenged 802.11 devices?

An example is a mobile battery powered 802.11 RFID sensor tag with perhaps a 50 MHz 32 bit CPU. I gather that the current non-TTP proposal will take perhaps 10 ms on a smart phone with a 1 GHz processor so it does not appear suitable for low power devices. Rene Struik has indicated that this issue can be addressed with a different selection of elliptic curve and various processing techniques.

I have discussed the above with the authors and expect to communicate further via email when new drafts are available.

Thanks,

Dave