Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAI] Resolution of CIDs from LB201 concerning key derivation

On 5/15/14 8:29 PM, "Mark Rison" <m.rison@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here is text which may address the syntactical issue in 14/0692r0.

  This is woefully inadequate. You have to make a submission, post it on mentor, present
it to the group, and basically own the issue.

As is my wont, I've made various other editorial changes along

the way.

  And there are no change bars, no indication of what editorial changes you
made along the way. There's really nothing.

I have made my best efforts to keep my understanding of

the desired technical outcome but I cannot make any strong promises.

  I don’t understand what this means. Is there a possibility you will not be
able to keep your understanding of the desired technical outcome? How
will you lose it? Is there something that can be done to arrest the onset
of this loss of understanding?

   Can you please create a proper submission before the chance that you
lose your understanding arises?

11.11.2.3.1 PMK key derivation with FILS authentication

For PMKSA generation, the inputs to the KDF are:

     the two nonces, NSTA and NAP

     a constant label

     the EAP-RP secret result, rMSK, if shared key authentication is being used

     the Diffie-Hellman shared secret, ss, if PFS is being used or public key authentication is being used

The KDF produces a PMK and a PMKID which is used to uniquely identify the PMKSA. The length of the PMK shall be 256 bits, and the length of the PMKID shall be 128 bits:

PMKID || PMK = KDF-384(NSTA || NAP, "FILS PMKSA Derivation", context)

where the context is:

     rMSK if shared key authentication is being used without PFS

     rMSK || ss if shared key authentication is being used with PFS

     ss if public key authentication is being used

Upon completion of PMK generation, ss and rMSK, if derived, shall be irretrievably destroyed.

Note that I have used || for concatenation rather than |, since that

seems to be the baseline usage.  This should, if adopted, be done

in 11.11.2.3.2 too.

  There is no section 11.11.2.3.2 in the TGai draft. If you wish to add it then
feel free to use || in the new text you wish to add. Your submission should
indicate this new text with appropriate change bars.

  You own these CIDs; be responsible.

  Dan.

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk