Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAI] 11-14/1621r1 and 11-14/1622r0

Thank you for these resolutions, Dan.  I have the following comments on

the spreadsheet:

CID

Page

Line

Clause

Comment

Proposed Change

Resolution

mgr Comments

6026

111.00

9

11.11.1

shared key authentication can also be used with a cached PMK

state that the rRK is necessary only when not doing PMK caching

revised: stated that what is shared is either an rRK from ERP or a PMK from a previous FILS authenciated connection.

Why does the PMK have to be from a FILS-authenticated connection?  Why won't any old authenticated connection do?

6034

116.00

28

11.11.2.2.2

the procedure described in 11.11.2.2.2 reads as a long stream-of-consciousness and is hard to follow

rewrite the requriements so the steps are not so confusing

revised: enumerated process to make it easier to follow.

Enumerations introduced are a good start, but more could be done, specifically to address the "shall then"s

6668

117.00

39

11.11.2.3.2

Having || on the left of an equation is a bit weird and might lead to confusion

Define an intermediate value PTK and then use L(); see 1931.62 and 1939.23 of mc/D3.0 for inspiration

reject: this is not confusing as illustrated by the fact that the proposed change would restate the procedure identically, but differently. Obviously the commenter understands it.

The commenter does *not* understand the equation at the cited location to the extent of being sure what is intended, so as the commenter suggested, it is confusing, and should be addressed as suggested by the commenter

6071

117.00

62

11.11.2.3.1

IKM is not defined

Define IKM

revised: key derivation has been rewritten into 2, one for shared key and one for public key.

Rewriting has reintroduced the "[|| ss]" which caused issues last time round

6075

118.00

39

11.11.2.3.1

PKT derivation is wrong (i.e., Snonce is missing; PMK should be the first argument; and context change)

Suggested change:
KCK || KEK || TK = KDF-X(PMK, "PTK Derivation", SPA ||AA || Snonce||Anonce)

accept

This will conflict with the resolution for CID 6803

6801

118.00

39

11.11.2.3.2

"SPA ||AA || ANonce" -- no SNonce?

Add "|| SNonce" before "|| ANonce" and add a space before "AA"

revised: SNonce was added after ANonce.

Why after?  This seems inconsistent with nearby orderings

6683

123.00

27

11.11.2.5

"Each successive invocation of the encryption operation of GCM shall increment the AEAD counter by one (1). Processing of a received EAPOL-Key frame shall include verification that the received frame contains a counter that is strictly greater than the counter in the last received EAPOL-key frame, and shall update its copy of the peer's AEAD counter in its PTKSA to the value of the AEAD counter in the received, and verified, frame." -- this seems to be fragments of behaviour (e.g. missing is specification of what happens in the failure cases).  It also seems to be potentially dangerous (you invoke encryption for some unexpected reason, and BAM! your AEAD counter gets incremented)

Move this stuff to more appropriate subclauses (maybe 11.11.2.4)

reject: this stuff is a component of the cipher mode and, as such, the section dealing with the specifics of the cipher mode is already the most appropriate subclause.

I don't understand how the proposed resolution addresses the comment.  Where is the specfication of what happens in failure cases, for example?

6297

If FILS is about initial link setup, then why does there need to be any discussion of SA caching?

Delete all material related to xxKSA caching

reject: the TG voted in this text and disagree about its importance.

This is not a responsive resolution.  A resolution needs to be provided which addresses the specific question in the comment.  If, as the proposed resolution suggests, there was a vote about this, then presumably there was prior discussion addressing the question, which the resolution needs to reference (specifically enough so that it can be found).  See section 2.9.3 of 11/1625 for further information

I also have a number of comments on the Word document, which I attach.

Some are just editorial, but some are technical.

Regards,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk