From: Norman Finn (nfinn) [mailto:nfinn@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:12 AM
To: Hamilton, Mark; STDS-802-11-TGAK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAK] Suggested text for 802.11/802.1AC compatibility over the portal interface

As usual, you ask a good question.  We actually could define the portal the other way around.

The reason I think it’s easier for the portal to offer, rather than use, the service interface, is that, among its purposes, the portal provides the connection to a bridge.  A bridge, by the ISO 7-layer model, is a user of the MAC service, not a provider of the MAC service.  If the definition of a portal is that it is also a user of a service, then we have to postulate an instance of a virtual MAC service with two MSAPs to connect the portal to the bridge.  If you insist on saying that the portal is a user of the service, we can handle it.  It simply means that 802.1AC has to define a virtual LAN that offers a point-to-point service to connect the portal to the bridge.  We can go there, if you think that corresponds more closely to how a portal is perceived by 802.11.

Every other dot group in IEEE 802.1 provides two or more MSAPs per medium instance.  That’s what 802.11ak provides (one two-MSAP service per non-AP station).  802.11 can certainly choose to provide some number of MSAPs (STAs and GLK SAPs), and to also be the user of one MSAP (portal).
802.1AC can deal with that, although it’s kind of ugly.  But, if most
802.11 people see the portal as looking down, not up, that might be the least obnoxious solution.

Which do you prefer?

I agree with your last point, also.

― Norm