Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAX] TGax Telecon 20141204 (Agenda)

Thanks Graham. I’ll make sure that your comments are discussed during the call.

Regards;

Osama.

From: Graham Smith [mailto:Graham.Smith@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2014 9:35 AM
To: Osama AboulMagd; STDS-802-11-TGAX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: TGax Telecon 20141204 (Agenda)

I have a previous engagement and will not be able to attend this telecom but I would like to make a few comments about the presentation.  I would humbly request that the Chair may find time to share my comments at the meeting after the presentation.

The summary of presentations is excellent and I appreciate the time and effort that must have gone into this – thank you.  The main point I wish to make is that the distinction between fixed CCA threshold variations and true ‘dynamic’ threshold variation is important, and in each cited presentation it needs to be noted which is used.  The term “DSC” should be used carefully and correctly and be used only when a CCA threshold or RX sensitivity threshold is being changed in relation to the received RSSI as described in the original DSC presentations I have made.  For example, 14/1461 uses the term DSC totally incorrectly and from reading the title or summary gives a completely wrong message.

The bulk of the work so far referenced deals with the calibration scenarios  which use only 3 channels.  The big advantage of DSC is that it does allow frequency reuse in the apartment and cell scenarios, but with only 3 channels this is not much help.  I have shown that with 7 channels and DSC, the problem of OBSS is almost completely overcome in several scenarios, and that it where DSC comes into its own.  As this presentation correctly states in the conclusion, it is necessary to identify specific scenarios and traffic models to really assess DSC and I would urge that the cases of going beyond 3 channels must be simulated.  In addition, as I have pointed out in my presentations, it is important that the APs select their channels in an intelligent way, not simply at random, then we will see the dramatic improvements that DSC can offer and realize the PAR requirement.

Thank you

Graham