From: rojan.chitrakar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rojan.chitrakar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:53 AM
To: Yangyunsong <yangyunsong@xxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11-TGBA] TGba call for submissions for March IEEE meeting at Vancouver

Dear Yunsong,

For ease of discussion, I have pulled out your suggest text below:

6.3.4.2 MLME-JOIN.request

6.3.4.2.4 Effect of receipt

If the MLME of a WUR STA receives an MLME-JOIN.request primitive with a SelectedBSS parameter containing a BSSDescription with a WUR Operating Class field in the WUR Operation element that contains an unsupported band as indicated by the Supported Band field in the WUR Capabilties parameter, the MLME response in the resulting MLME-JOIN.confirm primitive shall contain a ResultCode parameter that is not set to the value SUCCESS.

I understand your intention, however I believe that rejecting the JOIN.request based on WUR capabilities (e.g. supported bands) may not be appropriate at this stage since the STA may or may not proceed to negotiate WUR mode with the AP. If the STA does not intend to use the WUR Service, the STA should be allowed to JOIN. In my opinion, such check is better done during the WUR mode negotiation.

YY>> I am OK with that.

However, I do not find any text in D2.0 that deals with this (unsupported band); perhaps a new denial reason needs to be added for WUR mode setup (e.g. Denied. Unsupported band). However that is beyond the scope of this document.

YY>> I think a simple denial from the AP should be sufficient, because the SME of the non-AP STA shouldn’t issue such MLME-WURMODESETUP.request in the first place when it knows that the supported band doesn’t match. We shouldn’t add new reasons just for bad implementations, IMHO.

Regards,

Rojan