Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] discussion of MAP coordination set definition

Hello all,

I'd just like to throw in a 10,000'-level comment from the safety of my retirement.

We already have OBSS coordination in 802.11 (thanks to 802.11aa, from memory).  It would be interesting to discover how many implementations are using 802.11aa OBSS interference mitigation.

The question any feature has to answer is "what's in it for me?". If the rest of the world adopts some "be nice to others" feature,  and I do not,  and I benefit from that choice, what is there to make me change my ways? Unless participants in some feature themselves benefit from that feature,  or are forced to implement it,  there will those who choose not to implement it.

Witness,  we used to have implementations of 802.11 that broke the medium accesss rules - i.e. always used a PIFS to access the channel because that gave their
products a competitive advantage.   Unless you can express a non-altruistic benefit from a feature,  it is unlikely to be implemented unless implementers are forced
to do it (e.g. through certification testing).

So what is this feature relying on for success:

1. Compulsion
2. Evident self-benefit?

Best Regards,

Adrian Stephens