I am requesting to add the ML IE to Beacons and Probe Responses. The main reason is the MLD MAC Address to be able to authenticate and setup link right after the Beacon is received. The MLD capability, MLD ID and Link ID for the beaconing AP would  be provided also through some element. Can all of them be signaled through other elements?

Cheers,
Jarkko

On Sep 15, 2020, at 5:48 PM, Cariou, Laurent <laurent.cariou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Abhi,
No need for an ML element when receiving a beacon to know that the AP is part of an AP MLD, the RNR is already doing this.
There are clear motions on the conditions for which ML element is present in beacons (for SAE to provide MLD MAC address). For other cases and before we generalize, we need further discussions.

The first motion you refer below is not about ML element, it talks about partial information in a very general manner. Partial info in that motion actually is the RNR (and the MAC address in ML in some cases: SAE).
Second motion is about defining the mechanism to provide info, not the rule if this is always included or not.

Thanks,
Laurent

From: Abhishek Patil <appatil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 5:40 PM
To: Cariou, Laurent <laurent.cariou@xxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] [EXT] Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] PDT MAC MLO Discovery: ML IE Structure

Hi Laurent, Young Hoon,

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding presence of ML IE in Beacon frame, I received offline feedback from a few members asking me to include ML IE in Beacon and Probe Response frames to aid the discovery of an MLO AP. Further, I found we have two motions that support it:

·        Partial information to prevent frame bloating.
·        For example, frames exchanged during ML setup are expected to carry complete information while Beacon frame is expected to carry partial information
·        The exact set of elements/fields that constitute partial information is TBD.
[Motion 115, #SP93, [14] and [115]]

802.11be defines mechanism(s) to include MLO information that a STA of an MLD provides in its mgmt. frames, during discovery and ML setup, as described below:
·        MLD (common) Information
o   Information common to all the STAs of the MLD.
·        Per-link information
o   Capabilities and Operational parameter of other STAs of the MLD other than the advertising STA.
[Motion 115, #SP91, [10] and [93]]

Regards,
Abhi