From: Xiaofei Wang <Xiaofei.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 2020128 1:24
To: Yang, Zhijie (NSB - CN/Shanghai) <zhijie.yang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: discussion on 11-20/1115r6 AP MLD power saving for MLO

Dear Jay,

This email is a follow up on the discussions we had during today’s teleconference regarding your presentation 11-20/1115r6.

I wanted to clarify on the purpose of your proposal:

  1. Is the proposed AP MLD (say a cell phone) including one AP STA and multiple non-AP STAs meant to enabling a relay type of device, for example, the multiple non-AP STAs are associated with another outlet-powered AP(s) or AP MLDs, and the AP in the same device can provide regular AP services to other non-AP STAs and non-AP MLDs (such as laptops or wearable devices)?
  2. Or is the purpose for the AP MLD to still function like an AP MLD, and the non-AP STAs contained in the AP MLD still function to some extent as APs, but they need to be classified as non-AP STAs purely for power saving purposes (so that they can powered down sometimes)?

à<Jay> You rise some good example, I believe the cellphone and laptops have the requirement that works as AP MLD, meanwhile, they also have the low power consumption requirement.

Our proposal looks like Opt2, non-AP STAs in AP MLD can reuse some PS scheme defined in current SPEC because there is no PS solution for the AP.

If your intention is 2 as described above, could you elaborate a bit on changes needed to make the non-AP STA function to some extent like an AP, for example, some type of OCB or some sort of associations between two non-AP STAs?

à<Jay> This question is similar to Po-kai’s comment. For the non-AP STAs within AP MLD, I think the AP within same AP MLD can carry the non-AP STAs info in ML IE, (e.g. per-AP profile). And the multiple link set up process only happen on the primary link(the AP within same AP MLD working link) between battery powered AP MLD and non-AP MLDs, the certification process still follow the definition in 11be D0.2, e.g, GTK,PTK, etc. The non-AP STAs within AP MLD can assist AP MLD deliver/receive PPDUs via their working link if necessary(in MLO framework), and the non-AP STAs within the AP MLD also can enter PS state if there is no heavy traffic to reduce the burden of power consumption. For the AP special function, like broadcast beacon frame, buffered frames, TSF, it should be done by the AP within the AP MLD.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Xiaofei Clement Wang

Principal Engineer | InterDigital