Thanks very much for trying to address my concerns.  However, as I stated during the 11be call today, the existing element is to quiet ALL STAs, without making exception for some STAs (e.g., STAs with low-latency traffic).  Using Quite element to selectively allow channel access by some STAs is new, and is a significant departure of the original purpose of Quiet element.   How does a STA distinguish the purpose of a Quite element (i.e., for restricted TWT or otherwise) to decide whether to ignore it or not?

Regards,
Qi

On Dec 10, 2020, at 6:48 PM, Yangbo (Boyce, 2012 NT Lab) <yangbo59@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jarkko, Qi and all,

I want to help to response to your and Qi’s question about Quiet element.

To Jarkko’s question
I think a reasonable way is to  include multiple Quiet elements if there are more than one restricted SPs per Beacon interval. An AP should not protect the medium outside restricted SPs with quiet element.

To Qi’s question
Quiet element is already defined in the spec and the spec doesn’t forbid an AP to use Quiet element to mute non-AP STAs for purposes other than channel measurement. So we are not trying to allow an EHT AP to use Quiet element(in conjunction with SP). The spec has already allowed to do that. What we are trying to do is to let EHT STAs understand an AP’s intention if it announce a quiet interval that completely overlaps with a restricted SP and EHT STAs can ignore the quiet element(if a EHT STA does not support low latency features, it would also ignore the  restricted SP).

Hope that answers your question.
Boyce
发件人: Jarkko Kneckt [mailto:00000d5619618f4f-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
发送时间: 20201211 9:04
收件人: STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
主题: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Question on Quiet element / 1046r10

Hi Chunyu and all,

There was a long queue of questions to 1046r10 and I was not able to ask my question.

I am wondering how to use Quiet element to protect real time traffic.
Quiet element was designed to measure channel especially in DFS channels to detect radars.
The Quiet Period is given in units of Beacon periods. Low latency traffic likely transmits more often than once per Beacon period.

I am wondering how you are planning to use the Quiet elements to protect the low latency traffic? Are you planning to include multiple Quiet elements to Beacon or just protect all time for restricted TWT?

       Cheers,
       Jarkko

<image001.png>