Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] 24/305--IRM solution for MLD

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. Agree with your feedback that RCM is for #1 point and IRM is really solving #2 point.

Also, I agree that the IRM which is provided during the 4-way handshake is for recognizing the non-AP MLD, not an affiliated STA of the non-AP MLD. The AP infrastructure will maintain the mapping of IRM identifier with the non-AP MLD device. When it gets a pre-assoc frame with that same IRM as TA it knows that the device is that specific non-AP MLD. Recognizing the device at the AP infra does not depend on getting that IRM in the ML element, and using in TA provides the flexibility to recognize any pre-assoc frame. With the TA approach, a non-AP MLD does not need to differentiate how it provides IRM to the network, in case of MLD vs non MLD frames, it is just sent as TA.

The topic of having more than one non-AP affiliated STA doing pre-assoc activity was discussed before in TGbe. Group aligned that only one IRM is sufficient for identification. Same IRM can be used by all affiliated STAs as TA if needed. I think it is also ok if the group prefers to assign multiple IRMs during 4-way handshake in case STA implementations require separate IRMs when doing pre-assoc activity in parallel, but we concluded otherwise in TGbe.

Even if IRM is provided in the ML element, there is still TA in the same frame that needs to be randomized for privacy, and it can as well provide IRM.

Imo there are two drawbacks of mandating that IRM must be sent in an ML element for MLD:
1) Limits the number of pre-assoc frames through which non-AP MLD can be recognized, since most pre-assoc frames don't contain ML element.
2) Forces STA and AP to implement two different ways to signal IRM (as TA and in ML element), which complicates the rules and implementation, without any gain. We could just support TA approach which works for both MLO and not MLO case.

Thanks,
Binita