From: Binita Gupta (binitag) <binitag@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, May 9, 2024 at 9:17 PM
Subject: FW: 24/0305r1: Identifying the non-AP MLD with RCM
To: Binita Gupta <bingupta.ieee@xxxxxxxxx>

Got it. I will upload this revision.

Thanks Binita, Jerome, Po-Kai and other members for your efforts.

Thanks

Best Regards

Jay Yang (志杰)

Original

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response and clarification.

I had further offline discussion with Po-kai on the multi-radio device scenario. We concluded that it is fine from the AP side if client uses the same IRM on any of its radio used for sending probe, and it can be in parallel, because probes are sent on different bands/channels and corresponding APs will respond. So, as long as this works on the client side where client can use same IRM on multiple radios (in some cases in parallel), if it wants to be recognized by the network, then Jerome and I are good with a single IRM, which can be used by any of the non-AP STA affiliated with the non-AP MLD.

I clarified this on page 12 and 13, that any of the non-AP STA may use the IRM . Please see inline in the attached, plus some other editorials and cleaned up the comments.

Thanks for your effort on this.

Best regards,

Binita

Hi Binita ,

Thanks for the further comments and suggestion. I will incorporate all the editorial suggestion into the final version.

For the following comment, let me clarify as bellow.

It's true that a non-AP MLD   may scan all the channels/bands  via mutliple radios in parallel to save time. Let's back to see the corresponding use case in 11bh group

When 11bh group propose IRM  in the probe request frame in pre-association, one use case is to create private BSSID for some special clients based on IRM in the probe request frame. (refer to use case 4.26 in https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/21/11-21-0332-37-00bh-issues-tracking.docx ). If we allow a multiple radio non-AP MLD sends probe request on different channels/bands in parallel, perhaps the network will create the same  private BSSID (or AP MLD for MLO ) on different routers due to no enough reaction time, (and then respond with the probe response frame including the same special SSID name in parallel), which will cause the resource waste issue on network side.

 Also, both non-AP MLD and network need to store multiple IRMs if we allow non-AP MLD provides multiple IRMs during 4-wayhandshake. Some member complain it's too complicated when I propose this solution at the beginning(in R0). To make it simple and easier to be implemented, we change to only IRM solution in the later revision.

Therefore, let's assume the non-AP MLD send probe request on different channels in serial when it includes IRM .

Hope such clarification can address you concern. And welcome the further comments.

Thanks

Best Regards

Jay Yang (志杰)

Original

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your responses and sharing the revised CR doc. I have few additional inline edits in the CR doc in your revised version.

RE>>#4: When scanning, only one of the non-AP STA should be able to use the IRM address. Text seems to imply that if multiple non-AP STAs of a non-AP MLD are scanning, they can use the same IRM , which does not seem right.

--><Jay> No sure whether the probe request will be sent by multiple radio/non-AP STAs or single radio on all channels/bands.  And thus I reword this sentence as

"A non-AP STA affiliated with a non-AP MLD may use that address for active scanning for an AP MLD or ESS that was provided that address, such that the AP MLD may identify the corresponding non-AP MLD "

 What's your thought?

Multi-radio devices can perform scan on multiple radios is parallel, and such devices should use a different IRM which is recognized by the AP on each of those radios. Else, we defeat part of the purpose of IRM – where an AP can recognize the STA before the association (e.g. using TA from probe response). For such cases, we could enable a non-AP MLD to provide one or more IRM KDEs in Message 4 and then separate IRM can be used later when scanning on multiple radios in parallel by non-AP STAs . If a device does not scan on multiple radios, then it can provide just one IRM KDE in Message 4.  What’s your thought on that? I think this provides more flexibility to cover both single-radio and multi-radio clients. Others, please share your thoughts as well on this point.

Thanks,

Binita

Hi Binita , Jerome,

Thanks for the valuable comments. See my response inline in blue font.  Also see the reply in details in the updated CR doc.

Thanks

Best Regards

Jay Yang (志杰)

Original