Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBF] question about Non-TB sensing

Hi Anirud,

The NDP frames are not necessarily always “dummy”. One straightforward example is that in scenarios where bidirectional sensing is used, both the I2R and R2I NDP will be used.

In scenarios where either DL or UL sensing is used, one of the NDP may not be actually used for taking sensing measurements, but they are helpful in other aspects. Please see DCN1433r2. We discussed this point extensively in 11bf calls and in the end the group decided to keep the flow unified for all scenarios.

Specifically, for unidirectional DL sensing scenarios, the R2I NDP is helpful in the following aspects:

  • It acts as an acknowledgement from the AP side to confirm the reception of the Sensing NDPA frame

and the I2R NDP.

  • It gives more time to the AP to process and transmit the sensing feedback for the I2R NDP measurement.
    • This will also be helpful for the delivery of the power control information for the R2I NDP.
  • It helps to maintain a unified flow similar to the 11az Non-TB ranging flow that has already been implemented in many existing implementations .

For unidirectional UL sensing scenarios, the I2R NDP is helpful in the following aspects:

  • It avoids creating a new NDPA+NDP flow where the NDP is SIFS after and is from the recipient of the NDPA frame.
  • If we remove the I2R NDP, the AP may not be able to configure and transmit the R2I NDP in SIFS time.
    • Many AP implementations are not able to support transmitting NDP SIFS after receiving the NDPA.
  • It helps to maintain a unified flow similar to the 11az Non-TB ranging flow that has already been implemented in many existing implementations.

I hope the clarifications help.

Best,

Cheng