Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] IRM Points at Tuesday's meeting

Thanks Mark, responses below.

From: mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 12:48 PM
To: G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] IRM Points at Tuesday's meeting

Thanks for this, Graham.

I have two follow-on points/questions:

1)      On your first paragraph, and that IRM would (might) not be used in a 10,000 seat stadium: I’d just like to clarify that the devices would still randomize their MAC address (to not be tracked) and that could be done with IRM, but with the “IRM Indicator” set to 0 for most devices.  That is, most of the users have no reason to provide any identity to the stadium, and probably don’t/won’t trust what the stadium would do with it and would want to disable IRMA on that network anyway.  Are there advantages to having IRM enabled, but rarely used?  For example, a few devices (staff, vendors) might actually provide a identity (although this is likely handled with a separate SSID, actually).  But, if there would be any advantages, I *think* that enabling IRM but having very few devices participate would remove the burden on the APs, right?

GS – Yes, the STA can still advertise support for IRM and set the IRM Element Indicator to “Private”.  Then the MAC address is simply a randomized one.  The other point was that if the APs did not advertise support for IRM then the STA would not use it anyway and would simply be using RMA.  Also, as you point out, even if the APs did show support, then I suspect that the STAs would choose to use “Private” anyway (but if the network did advertise support for IRM, then it has to be assumed it has the power to do so).  Having said that, if identification was useful, then the ID Query part might be used (special privileges etc.) and the STA indicates “Private/ID”.

2)      On your second paragraph, and the IRMK Check offset: If we proceed with a constant/a priori offset, doesn’t that turn the Check value into a simple (non-unique) “identifier of the identifier”?  We would need to consider:

a.       Does this make devices more easily trackable again, by introducing a constant identifier that can be tracked on every re-use?  (I’m assuming that the “new key with every association” is not at every _Re_Association, is it?  So, while the device is associated to the network, but moving between APs within the stadium, they can be tracked?  Is that a big deal?)

b.       Is there any advantage in this Check being derived from the key via some algorithm, versus just being an extra “token” that is stored along with the key, and the AP just does a straightforward search/lookup (no arithmetic at all)?  In fact, this then devolves into just being a few extra bits of the key itself, I think.

GS –

a)       Every association the IRMK is changed.  If re-associating by moving around, if the Check was the same, then yes it would indicate it was the same STA that was associated to the network, but then it is known that a STA is associated and no knowledge of who it is.  It would not, however, give any more information as to the key which would happen if the offset changed each time.   How bad is this?  It is bad as a spoof can copy the IRMA, Hash and Check.

If  the ESS is managed such that  other APs know the IRMKs of associated STA, then the Check need not be used?

The way round this, however,  is simple.  The STA can re-associate with a new Address (IRMA) and Hash but does not include the Check.  The AP would then simply ask for the Check once associated (IRMK Check Request) et voila!

b)      Interesting idea on the ‘algorithm’ .  It would need to be that the algorithm gives a different answer for the same key?  Perhaps I don’t fully understand, can you give an example?

Mark