From: G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 2022
122 4:07
To: STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Suspected Marketing Mail] [STDS-802-11-TGBH] STA Generated ID

Hi Jouni,

I have been reading through your proposal and I rather like your idea.  I note that in 4 way HS M4 there is already space for Vendor Specific KDEs so adding the STA ID there seems to be a good place to put it.

I question and 2 comments:

Question ? I note that “when first used” M4 is sent in the clear.  Is this important here?  I am not a security expert (as you probably know) so not sure what “first used” means.  Can you put my mind at ease that the STA ID is not transmitted in the clear when the STA associates?

Comment 1 ? The only thing I am uncomfortable with is that the ID, and in particular the length of the ID, is left open.  Would you consider making the ID a 6 octet ( or any fixed length not too long) ?  It is only used as an identifier (as was the real MAC Address) so to keep it nice and simple why not let the STA use a random 48 bits (or its real MAC)?

Comment 2 ? Is it necessary for the STA to include the Capability bit?  The AP needs to do so such that a STA knows if it can send the ID, but by not showing in the STA a third party could not tell if it was being used, (which may, or may not, be good?).

Thanks

Graham