Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] TGbh motions, PAR, and way forward

Hi Mark, Stephen,

I have been thinking hard about your points and I admit I am torn.  My immediate reaction is “do we really need to explain the PAR, as is, or are we trying to change it?”.  Do we really disagree over what it says?  Mark’s proposal clarifies points that I would have hoped we did not really disagree on.

My point has been, that for me, the PAR is not met if we only have the Device ID scheme in our Draft.  Now if some wanted to change the PAR such that no other scheme in addition to Device ID is needed, then fair enough, but if so they need to produce a presentation that formally lays out the arguments and justifications to do so, in the light of the TIG and SG work.  I have not seen anything along these lines.

In addition to the PAR topic, we have heard comments that TGbh should not introduce something that would require TGbi to later ‘repair’.  Again, no specifics and no presentation that looks at proposed TGbh solutions and how they create a ‘problem’ for TGbi.

One thing I can say is that I have made presentations that have looked at all the possible ‘problems’ and provided details as to how proposed schemes  work and why they satisfy TGbh PAR. Again, I have not seen a presentation that explains why these solutions will be a problem for TGbi, or, indeed, why the PAR needs to be changed and how the PAR writers “got it wrong”. I’m all for reasoned arguments, so let’s see them.

OK, having said that, how do we go ahead?  A majority of the TG does wants to see solution(s) that meet the PAR, but it is not clear if the majority is 75%.  Several straw polls on “pre-schemes” have not met the 75%.  Hence, I wanted a Motion on this.  Then if it passes, the TG is sort of beholden to accept one or more of the proposed schemes.  If it failed, then the PAR problem has to be faced.

Mark and others are correct that one problem is that we have 8 or so proposals – some, however, are similar except that the STA or the AP allocates.  Yes, of course this dilutes the votes.  We then have the “simple/computation” split.  One thought is that I see nothing wrong in having three solutions, Device ID/simple pre/computational pre.

Anyhow, I suppose what I am saying is it will not be easy, but I do feel that before we rush into changing the PAR we need to ask the basic question as to whether the TG wants to meet the PAR.

Thanks

Graham