Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Observations and simplicity

  Just a level-check…

  The current D0.2 draft defines a network-provided Device ID which is designed to be constant, that is the underlying identity of the device does not change, while having the over-the-air blob that is sent from STA to AP change with every association. So there is no need to update any upper layers. The identity the upper layer has and uses will not change but what a passive snooper sees as the identity being exchanged between STA and AP will change dramatically (if it is being implemented properly) with every association.

  The intent was that there would be some IE defined to carry this ever-changing blob in frames that are sent pre-association so the AP could get it, deblobify the blob, and extract the constant and never-changing identity. We just never got around to defining that IE.

  Of course, the Annex is not required so theoretically one could use D0.2 without it and have an ID that changes and requires upper layer notification with each association, as Kurt mentions. But that just seems like too much work and too many moving parts.

  regards,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius