Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Opaque ID, PASN

Hi Jay,

What you propose I think changes the opaque ID as per Annex Z quite significantly.

Just to make sure I understand Annex Z, here is (basically) how I think it works (I am sure Dan can correct me if I have misunderstood).

  1. AP/ESS select a key k, shared throughout the ESS
  2. AP selects an ID
  3. ID is padded with X+1 octets, the first octet has value 0x0X, the rest are 0x00
  4. The padded ID is then preceded by an 8 octet tweak (to prevent duplications)
  5. Hence, if X = 4, then the tweaked, padded ID is 13 octets plus the ID.
  6. This is then passed to AES-SIV using key k, this produces the “opaque ID”

  • Decoding strips off the tweak and padding, leaving the ID.
  • By changing the value of X, and hence the padding, a new opaque ID is produced, but still decodes with the same ID

So, as written, the non-AP STA has no work to do.  It may receive a different opaque ID (assuming X was changed), but when sent back to the AP it is decoded to be the same ID.

If we now follow Oran’s Option 2 PASN scheme, then

  1. in first PASN, STA sends nothing in msg 1, but AP sends an ID1 in msg 2 (because STA indicated it is using device ID).
  2. In next exchange, STA sends ID1 in msg 1, AP recognizes STA and sends new ID2 in msg 2.
  3. Etc.

It works, and is private, as long as a new ID is provided every exchange (because ID is sent in the clear by the STA)

If AP does not want to change the underlying ID, then it can use the opaque version:

  1. in first PASN, STA sends nothing in msg 1, but AP sends an opaque ID1 in msg 2 (because STA indicated it is using device ID).
    1. For example, opaque ID uses X=4
  2. In next exchange, STA sends opaque ID1 in msg 1, AP recognizes STA and sends new opaque ID1 in msg 2.
    1. For example opaque ID now uses X=3
  3. Etc.

In this case of using opaque ID it means that although it is the same underlying ID, the opaque ID, sent in the clear by the STA in msg 1, is different each time.

The AP/ESS does all the work.  It works because all APs in the ESS know the key k.  This is a classic example of how to use opaque ID.

If, as you suggest, the non-AP STA generates the opaque ID, then the key k has to be known to the STA and to each AP in the ESS.  I don’t think that is an easy task? Is the pre-shared key the same across the ESS?

Assuming that a common key is available/known, then the scheme would be:

  1. in first PASN, STA sends nothing in msg 1, but AP sends an ID1 in msg 2 (because STA indicated it is using device ID).
  2. In next exchange, STA sends an opaque version of ID1 in msg 1, AP recognizes STA and does not send anything in msg 2 (maybe a “I recognize you”)
  3. In next exchange, STA sends a new opaque version (different X) of ID1 in msg 1,
  4. Etc.

This is not device ID at all, it is a different scheme.  It might be better to simply invent a new scheme where the STA sends a new ID every time in msg 1.  But this is effectively what IRM is doing.

So, after all that, I think that Oran’s option 2 works and it is up to the AP whether to use opaque ID or not.

To cover Jarkko’s point about preferring the STA to control, that is covered by the IRM version.

Sorry such a long email but I am trying to make sure I cover everything, and hopefully help others.

Best regards

Graham