From: Okan Mutgan (NSB) <okan.mutgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2023 5:52 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] PASN question

Hi Graham,

Thanks for putting some thoughts and efforts on this.

Let me put the IRM Element/KDE and device ID Element/KDE here for the sake of the discussion. They contain two fields, namely, “IRM/Device ID status” and “IRM/Device ID”.  But the usage of these fields varies depending on the situation.

<Q> I do not see any mention of the AP sending the Status bit.  In FIG for example, MAC 2, does AP-2 send devID2 and the status on devID1?

The figure does not show any status field, but the text describes it (please see below). We can modify the picture (adding status field to the picture) if necessary.

Correct that In FIG for example, MAC 2, AP-2 sends devID2 and the status on devID1.

<Q> By the way, what is in the Auth Msg, I assume it’s the Device ID element?

Yes it is (please see Fig 9-788fm). However, in Msg1, only Device ID field is used, and in Msg2, both device ID field (i.e. new device ID) and device ID status field (i.e. status on old device ID) are used.

<Q> Similarly when using IRM, STA sends new IRM in third PASN frame (encrypted?), does AP send the status on the used IRM in Msg 2?   It’s not mentioned.

-> Correct that STA sends new IRM in third PASN frame encrypted (encryption is still not defined in details, it is one of the CIDs (CID84) so we will work on it. Note that CID84 talks about encrypting both device ID IE for Msg2 and IRM IE for Msg3).

-> Currently, status field (recognized or not recognized) is not defined for IRM in PASN (please see the text below it talks about recognition for FILS and non-FILS & non-PASN, but not for PASN), so AP does not send the status in Msg2 on the used IRM. This is also one of the CIDs (CID113), we will work on it.

Please feel free the drop your comments.

Thanks!

BR,

Okan