From: Mark Hamilton <mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2023 6:51 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Liaison from TGbh to WBA

All,

I would suggest a liaison letter to WBA, with the following message – comments welcomed!

Mark

--

Dear WBA members,

Thank you for the liaisons sent to us over the last couple years, which raise and describe concerns regarding device identification issues when randomized MAC addresses are used.  As you know, we are very appreciative of your liaisons, and they were used to help to formulate the scope of an activity within IEEE 802.11 (project P802.11bh), to address these impacts where they are within the scope of our Standard.

We write to you today, to inform you that the first draft (Draft 1.0) of our amendment to add facilities to IEEE Std 802.11 has successfully completed an 802.11 Working Group letter ballot, and will be available shortly in the “IEEE Store”, here: <link>.  (https://standards.ieee.org/search/?q=802.11 ??)

Within the 802.11 task group bh, we are undertaking an analysis of the use cases and scenarios described in your liaisons to us, and summarizing how (or if) those use cases are covered by the mechanisms in the P802.11bh Draft 1.0.  We are targeting to have this analysis complete by the end of our September face-to-face meeting, and to provide our results to you at that time.

In the meantime, we would like to encourage WBA members interested in this topic to obtain a copy of P802.11bh D1.0 from the store, and review the material.  We encourage your comments on our draft, as well as any considerations you have for how these mechanisms map to the concerns raised in your liaisons to us, to compare to our analysis mentioned above.

Sincerely,

Dorothy Stanley

Chair, IEEE 802.11 WLAN Working Group