[STDS-802-11-TGBH] Minimum length (and optionality) of Device ID

All,

I just wanted to point out a couple examples from the baseline (REVme, that is), for fields which are not always present, and/or have variable length or some restrictions on their length (when they are present).

Supported Operating Classes element:

Note the “(optional)” inside the field’s box, and the “variable” below the box.  Also, note that the text then describes when the field is present or not, and minimal information about what it carries when it is present:

Time Advertisement element:

Again “(optional)” inside the box, and this time a fixed choice of length below the box (0 or a fixed length).  And, again, minimal description in the text about when the field is present, and what it means when it is present:

Multi-band element:

Of interest here, is the use of “4 x m” for the length of the last field.  So, there are examples of a simple “formula” type of length, even with an optional field – which can presumably be 0 if m is 0.

QMF Policy frame:

This is one with the possibility of “not present” (0 length), or a specific range of lengths allowed when it is present.  And, here the text describes when it is present, and points elsewhere (although still in clause 9 ?! 😊) for its structure and definition when it is present:

Personally, I think that last example might be the most relevant one for us to mirror, if we decide the Device ID length can be a range (when present), or ours could be like Time Advertisement element if we decide the Device ID is fixed length (when present).

Other thoughts/flames?

Mark