[STDS-802-11-TGBH] TGbh CID 244

So, picking up one of my action items, here are thoughts/comments on TGbh CID 244:

In 11-23/1316r4, CID 244 is resolved together with CID 103, with a complete re-write of the paragraph that used to include “A non-AP STA indicates activation of device ID for a particular ESS by setting … in … frames sent to any AP in the ESS.”  (The underlined part is what CID 244 suggested to delete, and those are deleted in the re-write.)

The proposal is to remove this text in the subclauses for the Device ID and IRM specific usage behavior (as the comment requests), AND ALSO removes a similar discussion in the 12.2.11 introduction (which used to say “to allow any AP in the AP’s ESS to recognize the non-AP STA when it returns to that ESS”, but this text is also removed in 11-23/1316r4).

I am concerned that removing this text causes the reader to miss the concept that the device ID and/or IRM settings and identifiers are “per-ESS” and that any/all APs within the ESS will have the information so the non-AP STA can connect anywhere in the ESS for its next association.

I therefore propose to add text in the introduction section of the 11-23/1316r4 re-write, as shown below:

To mitigate tracking and traffic analysis, a non-AP STA may randomly change its MAC address (see 4.5.4.10 (MAC privacy enhancements)).

This presents a problem for the network in that it is unable to identify a non-AP STA that had previously associated and is not able to apply cached information from that previous association to the current association. The two mechanisms defined in 12.2.11 alleviate this problem. Both the mechanisms provide for an identifier that is shared between the network and the non-AP STA, but is not trackable by third-party observation.  The identifier is optionally used, per-ESS, and the identifier is related to that ESS, with a different identifier generally used with other ESSs.

I am not very happy with this wording, and would be very welcoming of any wordsmithing to help this out.  But, I hope the concept I’m trying to convey is clear, and I’d like to see if other members of the TG agree this is needed/desired to be added to our text.

Thanks.  Mark