[STDS-802-11-TGBH] device id in associate req/resp

  Hi Jarkko,

  In the session yesterday you expressed opposition to my submission, 11-24/0068r2, because it made the informative annex into normative text. You stated that this would make the scheme described in the annex mandatory to support and were against it for that reason. Well, keep in mind that the scheme described in the annex which I propose to move in to section 12 and make normative is implemented by the AP only. Non-AP STAs do not implement it. To the non-AP STA the device ID it receives (the output of this scheme) is a random blob. It has no significance to the non-AP STA and the non-AP STA has no use for it except to return it on a subsequent association.

  Your concern for the capabilities of AP vendors is admirable but I believe it is misplaced. Don't worry about us, we can write code to implement this scheme. For non-AP STA vendors, you have nothing to implement and nothing to be concerned about.

  regards,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius