From: Jerome Henry <jhenry@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2024 9:36 PM
To: G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: STDS-802-11-TGBH <STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] 46 or 44 bit IRMs

Thank you Graham,

Your answers help a lot. Your dialog on the 80K vs 9K changing 3 times a day also surfaces a question in my mind, for which the answer may be implicit in the baseline, left to implementation or specified in 11bh (but I can't find it): do we have a notion of time for these collisions?

So far, the scenarios I read in the thread seem to assume 9K/80K STAs nicely rotating in unison. But suppose the following scenario:

I drive my soon the 80K students uni, my phone connects to the WiFi (coz I connected when I helped him move in last summer), and sends the IRM for my next connection.

Then, I drive away happily in the sunset, not to return for weeks or months. The AP (or the WLC behind) keeps repeating in its tiny head my IRM MAC not to forget it. As 80 K students parents (maybe x2) do the same thing on that back-to-school day, the ESS has all the students and all the parents IRMs. Surely the students will connect back next day, parents won't. Do we have the notion of timeout for the IRM (I recall we discussed this, but can't find our conclusion)? Our collision probability will increase with the duration for which the IRMs are stored (as the number of IRMs will increase with time until each times out). And at the same time I may drive back to the Uni the following week and the AP may tell me "IRM not recognized" (which my phone would respond with "wait, what? why? It's me, promised!" but will not understand why that IRM did not work)

Thanks

Jerome

---- On Wed, 05 Jun 2024 13:34:44 -0400 G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ---

Hi Luther,

Yes, we have a mechanism to do that.  After association, the AP sends an action frame informing STA that it provided a duplicate.  The STA then sends a new IRM.

Graham