Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBI] Request for agenda time

  Hello,

  I am unable to make the call on Thursday but if I was on it I would voice support for option 2 on slide 7. So if you're polling the group, add me to that bucket.

  If you want to make option 2 be a single call, the KDK is already a cryptographically strong key (uniformly random as a result of the PRF that generated it) and the "extract" step can be skipped. There's a discussion of this in RFC 5869 in section 3.3. So it could become:

                rPMKID = HKDF-Expand(KDK, "rPMKID expansion", 16)

Observing that 16 is most likely smaller than the size of the underlying hash function that HKDF is implemented with, the difference between option 1 and an "expand only" option 2 is mostly aesthetic.

  But I do like the idea of binding the old PMKID to the new one so unless there's heartburn over the two-step derivation I'd vote to keep option 2 as is.

  regards,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius