Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBK] Attention PASN/FTM experts: Discussion on the use/intent of PASN

Try again with the reflector emails corrected.

Mark

From: mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx <mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 28 May, 2024 10:59
To: 'Joseph Levy' <Joseph.Levy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STD-802-11-bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.; STD-802-11-bk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'Segev, Jonathan' <jonathan.segev@xxxxxxxxx>; 'Ali Raissinia' <alirezar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Christian Berger' <christian.berger@xxxxxxx>; 'Roy Want' <roywant@xxxxxxxxxx>; 'Jouni Malinen' <jouni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Yan.li16@xxxxxxxxxx; okan.mutgan@xxxxxxxxx; 'Jay Yang' <yang.zhijie@xxxxxxxxxx>; 'Graham Smith' <gsmith@xxxxxxxxx>; 'Antonio de la Oliva (Consultant)' <Antonio.delaOliva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Attention PASN/FTM experts: Discussion on the use/intent of PASN

Joe, all,

I’d like to clarify the “two main views”.  At least in my opinion from the discussion, I think the views in question are:

  1. PASN _with a shared knowledge of the non-AP STA’s identity_ is used only within an ESS (for messaging between a non-AP STA and the set of APs that form a single ESS).
  2. PASN _with a shared knowledge of the non-AP STA’s identity_ is used in an area and can be used with any AP that supports PASN (for messaging between a non-AP STA any AP that supports PASN in “radio range” of the non-AP STA, independent of the AP’s ESS).

That is, I can well imagine PASN (as a generic concept) could be used independent of the APs’ ESS(s), but when some sort of identification of the non-AP STA is used/needed/desired (to correlate FTM requests, or for other reasons – I’m not sure what all the uses cases might be) what is the scope of that correlation?

This is an important distinction, as it is the scope of the TGbh relevant aspect to all this to consider only the scope of the non-AP STA _identification_ and therefore the ability to correlate the PASN interactions (per Joe’s “Background”) .

Mark