[STDS-802-11-TGM] WNM-Sleep and GTK

Hello Jouni,

I have a comment in REVmc (CID 329) to remove the requirement that a non-AP STA delete the GTKSA on entering WMN-Sleep (see below).

Concern was expressed that not deleting the key creates a security vulnerability. I don't see a vulnerability on the receive side: if the STA uses an old key (after missing an GTK update) it simply won't be successfully decrypting group addressed frames. As far as I know the STA does not use the key to encrypt frames.

Can you comment on this?

Regards,
-Robert

CID Page Clause Resn Status Comment Proposed Change Resolution Owning Ad-hoc Ad-hoc Status Ad-hoc Notes
329 1005.00 10.2.1.18.2 J "The non-AP STA shall delete the GTKSA if the response
indicates success." It is not clear why this is necessary or even advisable. A STA in WNM-Sleep mode does not participate in group key updates. Fine. But why should it delete the GTKSA? If the current key expires and a new one is distributed the STA may not get the update, but that is no reason to prevent it using one that was in effect when it entered WNM-Sleep mode. Besides, the group key may have a lifetime far longer than the STA's WNM-Sleep.
Delete the following two sentences: "The non-AP STA shall delete the GTKSA if the response indicates success. If RSN is used with management frame protection, the non-AP STA shall delete the IGTKSA if the response indicates success." REJECTED (MAC: 2012-10-09 18:35:46Z): The non-AP STA deletes the GTK to remove any possibility of using the expired key. MAC Discuss MAC: 2012-11-14 17:12:09Z - Update.  Robert would like to discuss this further.  Moving back to "Discuss" status.

Comment-MAH: Need a security expert's opinion.  I am guessing that it potentially decreases the entropy of the GTK if the sleeping STA continues to use it, after the key has changed (which the STA didn't realize).

MAC: 2012-10-05 14:21:37Z - Propose decline.  The non-AP STA deletes the GTK to remove any possibility of using the expired key.  Dorothy to confirm with Jouni.