Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] WNM-Sleep and GTK

Thanks Jouni

So... to summarize...

With strict rekeying:
- STAs are vulnerable to attack by other STAs currently associated with the AP
- a STA that doesn't receive GTK updates would also be vulnerable to attack by a STA that triggered an update on leaving the BSS

There is nothing we can do about the former, but to prevent the latter, a STA is required to delete the GTK on entering WNM-Sleep and thus is unable to receive any group-addressed traffic while in WNM-Sleep. This is OK because the STA is expected to establish a good multicast to unicast conversion filter. As a side effect, however, a GTK update is necessary each time a STA leaves WNM-Sleep.

I don't necessarily agree with the tradeoff made here (reduced vulnerability vs always having GTK update on exiting WNM-Sleep), but at least I understand where it came from.

-Robert