Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] TGmc CID 13 - Proposed resolution

Would it be easier to just label the Key field (in the Figures) as “variable”?  Then, the text can say what goes in the field (“the GTK being distributed” as Dorothy suggested for the GTK subelement and the text we have about the IGTK for the IGTK subelement), and that should unambiguously describe what the length(s) can be, and we don’t have a nightmare getting this right and maintaining it correctly.

As for the Length field, Mark, I think our discussion on CID 137 (and CID 5) should make these bits of text go away.  At least in my opinion, there are no “extra semantics” that are useful to discuss for these subelements’ Length.

Mark

From: ***** IEEE stds-802-11-tgm List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Rison
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:47 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] TGmc CID 13 - Proposed resolution

I must admit I'm mildly confused:

1) 11.6.1.4 Group key hierarchy says that the size of the GTK is

256 + TK_bits, where TK_bits is in Table 11-4

2) So the size of the GTK is 32+5 octets for WEP-40, 32+13 octets

for WEP-104, 32+32 octets for TKIP and 32+16 octets for CCMP/BIP,

right?

3) So if the thing being distributed is the GTK (rather than the TK,

which does have a size of TK_bits, as the name suggests):

a) In F8-489, the Key subfield should have a size of 32+5, 32+13,

32+16 or 32+32 octets

b) The value of the Length field below should be 11+32+5, 11+32+13,

11+32+16 or 11+32+32 (except that I hope/think we've managed to agree

to delete such sentences)

4) Similarly in F8-490, the Key subfield should have a size of

32+16 and the Length value should be 8+32+16

No?

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Systems Architect, Wi-Fi    English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0ZT

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk