[STDS-802-11-TGM] STDS-802-11-TGM] Language: Ensure

Between exertions, Sysyphus recommends:   “When a mesh STA receives a frame with the Address 1 field equal to a group address, the mesh STA also validates that the TA is a group addressed frame originating from one of its peer mesh STA, else the frame is discarded.”

From: ***** IEEE stds-802-11-tgm List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Kurihara
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:05 PM
To: STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Language: Ensure

Adrian, I have struggled in my comments to many drafts standards in which I commented on the use of ensure and my comments have been rejected in every instance, even with suggested rewording.

I believe that with the use of the term "ensure" that carries with it no process, activity, task, or outcome, its use is open-ended and lacks clarity in what is to be done to attain the unstated purpose and outcome. I have asked that each case of the use of ensure be either replaced with another term that acertains the desired outcome when used in the text, or to use the term and explain the desired outcome when the term is used in a document-wide context, which I think is difficult at best, especially in a protocol standard.

The desired result is a rewrite such as you suggest or explain the desired process to ascertain an outcome for each instance of the use of ensure.

Suggest that the publication staff consider style guidance for all project editors and WG chairs. It is a "Te" and not an "Ed" issue, in my opinion, humble or otherwise.

Regards, Tom Kurihara, a past voting member