[STDS-802-11-TGM] CID 1054

I've had a look at CID 1054 ("The change from .11a [sic] at 967.57 implies that all .11aa devices are also HT STA. This requirement is not reflected in the PICS").

There are two issues intertwined within this comment.

The first is that there is a reference to dot11AlternateEDCAImplemented that is not defined anywhere. The second question is to whether 11n support is mandatory for 11aa.

Alternate EDCA queues was definitely an optional feature - I didn't manage to persuade the group to make it mandatory ;)  However, there are no over-the-air changes when use alternate EDCA, therefore dropping the need for dot11AlternateEDCAImplemented cannot make any existing device incompatible with the standard.

The 11aa task group decided that 11aa was to be based upon 11n and to be a MAC only firmware update to an 11n chipset. Obviously with our IEEE hats on we could not really say "must be only a firmware upgrade". Alternate EDCA queues was an example of a feature where the group was persuaded to drop certain features due to worries about hardware implications.

Drop eligibility indicator and GCR require 11n features. GCR is a mandatory feature, therefore 11aa devices must also be (at least) HT STAs.

My suggestion would be to take the second proposed resolution:

At 967.57, change “dot11AlternateEDCAImplemented” to “dot11AlternateEDCAActivated” and at 1968.6
(AVT3 PICS definition) change the Status entry from “CF23:O” to “CF23:O CF16:M”

Alex