[STDS-802-11-TGM] 802.11REVmc D3.5 editorial review kickoff

Dear reviewers,

The editors have completed editing of D3.5.  It is now time to review the changes

and report any defects.   We have a tight schedule with a deadline of COW Tuesday 27th Jan

for you to report defects.

The draft for review is D3.5-654,  which may be downloaded from the following folder:

https://ieee-sa.centraldesktop.com/802-11editorial/folder/4428277/

If you have lost your credentials to centraldesktop,   let me know and I’ll resend them.

I realize that Matt Fischer and Iwaoka-san do not have credentials.   I will send the drafts to them separately,  as centraldesktop is currently not letting me add new members.

Please report all defects in D3.5 defects reported tab of the attached spreadsheet and email it to me.

(Do not use any other mechanism,  such as sending me directly in an email,  reporting findings on the D3.5 comments tab., etc…)

(The reason I state this is that at every review somebody does something different.)

This is a summary of review by CID: (Dorothy is travelling,  so I’ll take her CIDs)

Row Labels

Count of CID

Adrian Stephens (Intel Corporation)

2

Andrew Myles (Cisco)

1

Carlos Cordeiro (Intel)

3

Dorothy Stanley (Aruba Networks) – Adrian Stephens will do this

2

EDITOR_A

37

EDITOR_Q

37

Emily Qi (Intel)

2

Mark Hamilton (Spectralink)

1

Mark RISON (Samsung)

26

Matthew Fischer (Broadcom)

4

Michael Montemurro (BlackBerry)

1

Vinko Erceg (Broadcom)

1

Yongho Seok (NEWRACOM)

1

(blank)

Grand Total

118

The comments to review are in the “D3.5 comments for review” sheet of the attached spreadsheet.

We also have the following non-CID submissions to review:

Doc

Motion

Author

Status

Reviewer

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-1618-02-000m-setting-of-duration-field-during-brp.docx

97

Cordeiro

Edited OK

Edward

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-1620-01-000m-correction-to-clauses-6-3-57-2-2-and-8-6-15-3.docx

99

Au

Edited OK

Edward

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/15/11-15-0157-01-000m-response-to-editor-notes-related-to-ftm.docx

99

Au

Edited OK (note on change on moved text)

Emily

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/15/11-15-0011-01-000m-clarifications-to-the-timing-measurement-protocol.doc

99

Venkatesan

Edited OK

Emily

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/15/11-15-0033-02-000m-proposed-changes-to-the-p802-11mc-d3-4-no-associated-cids.docx

99

Iwaoka

Edited OK

Emily

If anybody cannot perform their review by the deadline,  please let me know,  and ideally find somebody to substitute asap.

And here are essential instructions for the review,  which nobody will read, especially the statement about the scope of the review J

How to review approved changes

Process

Download the documents you need for the review.  This is typically a version of the draft,  a redline version,  the approved comment resolutions, and a template for your report on editing defects.

The redline suffers from artefacts resulting from the frame-maker comparison process (see the redline notes at the start of the redline draft).   If you find a problem in the redline, locate it first in the clean draft before reporting it.

Fill in any defects you observe in the defects spreadsheet supplied and email your copy of this spreadsheet to your technical editor as soon as you have finished your assignment.

How to report Defects

For each defect fill in a new row of the defect spreadsheet.

The columns of the spreadsheet are:

Reviewer

Your name goes here

Sequence number

Invent a number 1 up.  These are used to cross reference between comments from different reviewers.

Page

The printed page number (i.e. what shows on the page) from the clean review draft.

It is not necessarily the same as the .pdf page number.

Do not quote the page number from the redline draft as you will create a hopelessly confused editor,  who wants to spare his one remaining grey cell to for the problem in hand.

Line

You can guess

Clause

Clause/Subclause/Annex number of material containing defect

Related CID(s)

CIDs of comment(s) resolution causing this defect

Comment

Your description of the defect

Proposed Solution

What needs to be done to fix it

Editor Response,  Editor Notes,  Pending action

Ignore these fields.

Please fill in as much data as necessary.  But there is no need to slavishly fill in all the fields.  Just provide enough detail to make it unambiguous.

If you find yourself spending a lot of time reporting a systematic error, it may save you time to discuss with the editor whether this is actually an issue first.

Please read the Editor’s Notes at the start of the draft.  They explain the use of tags and cross-reference styles.  These have provoked unnecessary review comments in the past.

Also, please note that when a tag appears in a cross-reference caption (e.g. 7.2 (Ice-cream vendors(#1234)),  it will appear as plain (i.e., not green) text.   There’s nothing I can do to change this.  Please do not report this as a defect.

Goals of the review

The goals of this review are to answer the questions:

·         Did the editor make the changes indicated in the resolution?

·         Did the editor make any non-editorial changes?

o    If you believe that any change is non-editorial, please highlight it.   I will ensure that any such comment is brought to motion in TGmb with special notice so that it gets proper attention.

·         Are the changes introduced by the resolution flagged with the sequence (#1234)? (these are show with a green colour). Is a flag the correct one?

o    Note, some changes are deliberately not flagged, where this is so,  this is indicated in the “Edit Notes” field of the comment.

·         (when working on speculative changes only) Sanity check on proposed resolutions.

o    Does it make sense to you?

o    These resolutions will be brought to TGmc for approval. If you disagree with the resolution, by all means discuss with the editor.  Any unresolvable disagreements on resolutions will need to be addressed in that group.

Non-Goals

The following is not a goal of the review:

·         To identify new technical bugs in the standard (save them somewhere safe for the next letter ballot).  I cannot remedy any such defect as my license as editor does not permit me to make technical changes except under explicit instruction of the task group.

·         To identify new editorial changes with substantial scope.  Anything that is more than a trivial editorial change will need a letter ballot comment.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +1 (971) 330 6025 (mobile)