Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] REVmc comment 5308

Hi Richard,

The effort to change the instances I identified is hardly massive -- I think that Adrian counted about 37 similar cases, each with a separate proposal of the exact words that would solve the problem.

And unlike the language fudge proposal (changing the meanings of the terms to special definitions that are not present in other technical text), the separate specific changes do not require any new rules. If I missed some similar instances, they can also be changed to normal technical descriptions. If we all miss some instances, we are no worse off than before. We have created no new definitions that could cause additional problems. (There already are hundreds of instances of "the value of field Xyz indicates" and similar language in the draft.)

The strength of the specific proposals is that they all follow the standard technical definitions of fields and values (i.e., that fields, subfields, elements, invocation parameters of primitives, etc. are static defined structures that can't by themselves indicate states, but when they are transmitted in frames or present in the invocations of primitives, their contents can and do indicate).

Changing the standard technical definitions of the technical terms ("field", "value", etc.) should only be considered when the alternative (in this case changing a few dozen cases) is either, as you mention, "massive", or dangerous. These changes are neither massive nor dangerous, but are proposals to change some odd phrases to normal technical usage.

Thanks,

Hunter