From: Mark Rison [mailto:m.rison@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:42 AM
To: Kim, Youhan; STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 15/0762 -- Resolutions for some comments on 11mc/D4.0 (SBmc1)

Hello Youhan,

Thanks for your careful review.

A STA is not “required” to transmit an OMN frame/element.  Please note that all the ‘shall’s in 10.42 is used to clarify how NOT to use the OMN (as opposed to mandating a STA to transmit OMN).  It is at the discretion of each STA to decide whether it wishes to announce the change of its operating mode (RX Nss and/or BW).  As discussed during the meeting today, it occurs frequently that not all the modes a STA announced to be capable of to be ‘usable’ at a given time – for example, even though a STA declares 2SS RX capable, channel conditions may prevent successfully receiving 2SS packets.  And yet, 802.11 systems successfully operate in those situations even though there is no explicit indication from the STA that it cannot receive 2SS packets in the current channel condition, for example.  Hence, it is not necessary nor the intent that a STA “has to” indicate a change in operating mode every single time.  In that sense, I do not agree with your comment that “the requirement for an AP to notify (re)associating STAs that it is operating with reduced max NSS is not clearly expressed” – there is no such requirement.  Of course, an AP may notify such information to (re)associating STAs as deemed necessary, which is allowed as shown in Table 8-30 (Association Response frame body), Tables 8-33 (Reassociation Response frame body), etc. – and yes, it is probably a good thing for the AP to indicate the operating mode change (for its own benefit), but not a ‘requirement’.

Yes, we already agreed last night that it should be "should" not "shall", and this is reflected in 15/0762r1 on Mentor.

[YK]  Thank you for reverting the ‘shall’ back to ‘should’.  Yes, we discussed much of the above argument yesterday, but at the time, it was regarding the ‘should’ or ‘shall’.  But I re-read your comment afterwards, and felt that the same argument applies to the general issue you are raising (“… requirement for an AP to notify …”).  Hence, I repeated the argument to say that I do not agree with the issue (“requirement”) you are raising in the comment.

Specific to your text proposal,

·         I think it is correct for the paragraph starting at P1847L40 NOT to include the additional frame format you are proposing to add (e.g. Beacon, Probe Response, etc.)  This is because there are more specific rules on using OMN in such frames – for example, see the paragraph starting on P1849L5.  If we include Beacon, Probe Response, etc. to P1847L40, then it would cause conflict with P1849L5.  Hence, I do not feel there is need to make changes to the paragraph starting on P1847L40.

I think these two are different.  1847.40 is about when you should tx OMN.  1849.5 is about when you shall not tx OMN.  They are not in conflict.

[YK]  I think there is a conflict because 1847.40 would say with your proposed change “… STA should send OMN if there is change in operating mode…”, while 1849.5 would say “…  AP shall not send OMN if RX Nss did not change”.  AP is a subset of STA, and RX Nss is a subset of operating mode.  So, 1847.40 would be saying one should send OMN, while 1849.5 would be saying one shall not send OMN.

·         Regarding changing P1847L50 from “An association with an AP” to “An association in an infrastructure BSS”, I understand your motivation is to include the case where the ‘first STA’ is an AP and the ‘second STA’ is the associated non-AP STA.  However, that case is covered in P1848L12 and P1848L27.  Hence, I do not think the proposed change for P1847L50 is necessary.

I think this is a valid observation.  I will have to consider whether there's a way to reorder things to make this (i.e. that the specific case of AP->STA is dealt with separately) clearer.

·       As for the proposed change for the paragraph starting on P1849L4, I think the current text is more forward compatible.  Please note that the intent of the OMN is not to be tied only to VHT.  For example, even non-VHT HT STAs are allowed to support OMN.

I don't think the proposed changes tie things to VHT.  Remember that a VHT STA is an HT STA.

[YK]  Yes, a VHT STA is an HT STA.  My point here is that the current draft is agnostic to which PPDU format you support (e.g. HT-only or HT-and-VHT).

And it is desirable that future 802.11 amendments also make use of OMN as much as possible (instead of defining a ‘new’ OMN).  Now, if we accept your proposed text, then we would have to update the text when the next amendment comes up because your proposed text works only for HT and VHT modes.  While I can see that you are trying to be more precise, I don’t see the current text to be broken, and seems quite ‘forward compatible’.

I think we should not have to try to second-guess future amendments, especially if this is at the cost of precision.  A future amendment will have to review all this stuff anyway (see e.g. the existing references to "the Supported Channel Width Set subfield in the HT Capability Information field").

[YK]  While I don’t see something ‘wrong’ with your change here, I don’t see anything broken in the draft, nor see the need to make a change to the draft.  And if we leave it as-is, it has higher chance that we don’t have to worry about this again in the future.

·         I think your proposed text change for P1849L10 (“A STA shall not transmit in an individually addressed frame an Operating Mode field”) is ok.

·         Regarding the creation of “NOTE 2” and the text changes within it, I am fine with making it a NOTE.  However, I think your text change within NOTE2 is not accurate.  For example, it reads “… number of spatial streams supported by the recipient HT STA is reported in … the Supported VHT-MCS and NSS Set field”.  Note the “HT STA” and “VHT-MCS”.  I did not spend time to fix this part, but I didn’t understand why you wanted to insert the word “HT”

Because e.g. an 11g STA does not transmit a Supported MCS Set field at all.  Also, again remember that a VHT STA is an HT STA.

[YK]  Yes, a VHT STA is an HT STA.  But not all HT STA are VHT STA.  And your proposed text reads “… HT STA is reported in … VHT Capabilities Info field”.

and delete the word “recipient”.

Because it's there already (first line, near the middle).

[YK]  Situation is that STA1 (the ‘recipient STA’) transmits the HT/VHT Capabilities element to STA2, and STA2 transmits OMN to STA1.  So, it could be confusing to some people on which STA is being referred to in the “transmitted by the STA” (the wording you are proposing) – both STA are transmitting something (STA1 transmits HT/VHT Capabilities, and STA2 transmits OMN).  So, I believe the intention was to clarify that the “STA” here is STA1 (‘recipient STA’).  You are probably right that what you are proposing may make sense in terms of English grammar, but I think the current draft (“transmitted … by the recipient STA”) is also correct and is more explicit – my preference.

·         Change to P1849L17 (“A STA shall not transmit in an individually addressed frame an Operating Mode field … recipient STA”) seems ok.

·         As for NOTE3, similar comment as on NOTE2 in above.

·         Agree with removing “received” from P1849L29.

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk

Thank you very much for the proposed resolutions.  We had to stop in the middle of discussing CID 6389 today, and I will not be able to attend Thu PM1 session when I presume this will be picked up again.  So please allow me to provide my feedback on CID 6389 via email instead.

[...]

·         As for the proposed change for the paragraph starting on P1848L4, I think the current text is more forward compatible.  Please note that the intent of the OMN is not to be tied only to VHT.  For example, even non-VHT HT STAs are allowed to support OMN.  And it is desirable that future 802.11 amendments also make use of OMN as much as possible (instead of defining a ‘new’ OMN).  Now, if we accept your proposed text, then we would have to update the text when the next amendment comes up because your proposed text works only for HT and VHT modes.  While I can see that you are trying to be more precise, I don’t see the current text to be broken, and seems quite ‘forward compatible’.

·         I think your proposed text change for P1849L10 (“A STA shall not transmit in an individually addressed frame an Operating Mode field”) is ok.

·         Regarding the creation of “NOTE 2” and the text changes within it, I am fine with making it a NOTE.  However, I think your text change within NOTE2 is not accurate.  For example, it reads “… number of spatial streams supported by the recipient HT STA is reported in … the Supported VHT-MCS and NSS Set field”.  Note the “HT STA” and “VHT-MCS”.  I did not spend time to fix this part, but I didn’t understand why you wanted to insert the word “HT” and delete the word “recipient”.

·         Change to P1849L17 (“A STA shall not transmit in an individually addressed frame an Operating Mode field … recipient STA”) seems ok.

·         As for NOTE3, similar comment as on NOTE2 in above.

·         Agree with removing “received” from P1849L29.

Regards,

Youhan