Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Resolutions for TGmc Clause 8 comments

Hello Adrian,

I presume, presumptuously, that I am the Mark you hailed.  I have

taken a look at 15/1010r7 and have the following comments:

CID 6235: I am not convinced the case of "9.7.4 Basic Rate Set and

Basic MCS Set for mesh STA" is correct; ditto at 2655.43 (and

shouldn't "VHT Basic MCS Set" be "basic VHT-MCS and NSS set" anyway?),

3049.47, 3049.48.  Also, the "BSS" in "BSS basic VHT-MCS and NSS set"

and "BSS basic rate set" and "BSS basic HT MCS set" is superfluous

(and the last of these should be "basic HT-MCS set"

CID 6461: It should be "implicit block ack request in the future"

(addition of the word "request") since the thing the recipient gets

is the request for ack, not the ack itself

CID 6252: Note that if there is in fact a direct normative limit on

the DMG MPDU size, this needs to be shown in Table 8-19

CID 6055: "The contents of an A-MSDU sent using GCR is described in

9.24.10.3." has the wrong verb conjugation (needs to be "are",

since the subject is plural)

CID 6351: I don't think the "equal to" is needed or desirable.

The other rows don't say "equal to".  In fact, given CID 5083,

maybe the cells should just say "REJECTED_BLAH" or "Not REJECTED_BLAH"

CID 5083: Will need some definite articles too.  Also, for the

ones which won't be touched by CID 6351, shouldn't "Status" in the

third column be something like "Any"?

CID 6343: It may be the case that at present all Action No Acks

carry information such as beamforming that is of time critical but

transient value, but this is not a requirement of the frame subtype

per se.  If we want to say that this is the case for <all the

current ANA flavours>, and so they don't need a MICE (or AMPEE),

fine, but we should in principle allow these in ANAs

CID 6336: I had previously suggested 6335 to 6339 all be assigned

to Carlos

CID 5955: I don't understand "My interpretation is that any STA can

“support” this frame type, but only the VHT and TVHT STAs can

transmit an operating mode notification frame with defined contents."

CID 6226: If we decide to do 2 (add a new Extended Request element),

we need to somehow indicate how this will interwork with existing

devices (which won't understand this)

CID 6068: There are 6 instances of "This string is not null terminated."

in Clause 8.  5 are for ASCII strings, so would be duplication.

1 is for an UTF-8 string, which arguably should be added to the

general statement.  There are also 4 instances in the MIB, which

arguably should be left as-is.  Also, at 968.2 there is

"“ES_ALERT” is treated as a sequence of ASCII-encoded octets without a terminating null"

which could just become "“ES_ALERT” is an ASCII string"

and in Clause 11 there are 5 instances of "terminating null", which

arguably should be left as-is

CID 5054: It is nice that you agree with the sentiment of your comment

CID 6476: JOOI, why is the bit set to 0 when sent in a non-AP STA's

beacon, even if it it supports PSMP (and indicates so when it sends

a probe response)?  This seems very odd (and would leave a device

which does passive scanning with the wrong understanding)

CID 6470: You mean you want some examples of how the medium time is

significantly different depending on whether aggregation is used?

CID 5071: See (resolution to) CID 6651

CID 5027: Missing the canonical "and is not present otherwise"

CID 6669: Because they're merged for non-HT duplicate PPDUs (middle case)

CID 6668: I don't think "PPDU" should be deleted, otherwise the definition

ends up being "A Clause 21."

CID 6667: Needs "or", otherwise the definition ends up being

"A Clause 20 Clause 22 PPDU"

CID 6819: The resolution is in 15/0762

CID 6531: I'd be happier with some words which more clearly indicate

that the scope of the definition of "WLAN system" is this annex only

CID 6396: Missing comma at start of proposed insertion.  But should

the change explicitly reference TVHT?  There are lots of definitions

which mention VHT but not TVHT; do they also need tweaking?  Also,

are we saying that a Clause 16-19 PPDU is not a "non-HT PPDU"?

CID 6297: Disagree with the discussion text.  "information in a frame"

is not the same thing as "information in any frame".  I dislike

giving explicitly lists of frame types, because such lists become

out-of-date (the usual problem with duplication).  I think just saying

that a non-transmitted BSSID is one that is not transmitted (duh)

but can be derived from the info in a frame is better

CID 6525: Is this correct?  Does the "off-channel" have to be entirely

non-overlapping, or only non-overlapping as regards the primary channel?

(However, the commenter is lying: there is a definition of "base channel")

CID 6323: There is a proposed resolution in 15/0762

CID 6565: The "CS zoo" comments I am working on (out for review by

SMEs (not the entities or enterprises but the experts)) will address

the "CCA mode 5" thing.  However, I think the 2468.21 thing does

need addressing, because it clashes with the definition of "HT PPDU"

CID 6477: FAOD, I think we agreed (in Cambridge) the proposed resolution

as stated was completely bogus

CID 6433: I think calling things which are some kind of index

"index" is a very good idea

CID 6802, 6803: We had discussed this by email, and I had provided you

a list of suspect locations, and you had said "I’ll give it a bit more thought.

[…] I need time to study this to produce a proportionate response.

At least you’ve made a (hopefully mostly found) initial analysis."

Is this now reassigned to me then?

CID 6789: a) The first half of the comment, namely the space character

inconsistency, is not addressed by the proposed resolution.  Also,

I'm fine if we follow ISO and use colons, but then we need to fix

"ISO-14962-1997" (2x), "ISO-639"

(Also, do we have comments for all the instances of "ISO -1" and "ISO -2"

(6 in total)?)

CID 6787: Think should also delete the two pairs of parens around

11 / 8 at 2203.34

CID 6747: Please assign to me

CID 6720: Please assign to me

CID 6737: I don't understand "180-4 specifies SHA-1, which is why 180-3 was referenced"

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk