Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Resolution (rejection) for CID 8137

Thanks, Adrian.  Glad we agree on the end result.  And, I’m happy to add a sentence, “Further, this chance is likely to make existing implementations non-compliant.”

As for your comment on the waste of bandwidth: First, I just quoted text from the existing Standard.  If you disagree with that text, that is a whole ‘nother can of worms.  Second, I think the “waste of bandwidth” that is implied here is in the case where the sender/receiver have gotten keys out of synch or some such, such that the sender built what it thinks is a correct frame, but the receiver will repeatedly fail to decrypt/integrity check it.  If this prevents the receiver from ACKing it, we’ll loop on retries for a while.  The point was to have the receiver acknowledge that it got the frame, and only then drop it as failing integrity check, without the sender banging away on it.

Mark

From: Stephens, Adrian P [mailto:Adrian.P.Stephens@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:49 PM
To: Mark Hamilton <mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Resolution (rejection) for CID 8137

Hello Mark,

.  Further, the text in 4.5.4.4 (Data confidentiality), last paragraph, makes it clear that frames which fail integrity check are still acknowledged, to prevent wasting WM bandwidth on retries of frames that are being discarded.  Thus, the proposed change would trade one problem for a different problem”  is a red herring.

The only “waste of bandwidth” would be in the case that the attacker is transmitting a forged frame.  As this would not happen very often,  it is not something we would have to optimize.

I agree with the resolution to the change as proposed,  and might add “makes existing devices non-compliant”.  The more intelligent solution,  which I described in my submission,  would leave the order to the implementer;   but I agree that we are under no obligation to fix the commenter’s proposed change.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +1 (971) 330 6025 (mobile)