Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] 802.11 TGmd LB236 CIDs CIDs: 2309, 2310

Thank you Mark for your questions. I see your points, but as you know from our emails exchange we do not have a clear consensus on how the interface between MAC and PHY should be interpreted (SAP or no SAP). I think more discussions in  a larger group are necessary to decide if deleting “.confirm”  could have any negative impact on specs. For the other questions please see my reply inline.

I agree further discussion is needed.  So I'll just respond to the other/new

points here:

> What about 8.3.5.12.4 [PHY-CCA.indication]?

[George] I do not understand this question.

Both the proposed change for CID 2309 and your Discussion section indicated
that 8.3.5.3, 8.3.5.11, 8.3.5.12, 8.3.5.13, 8.3.5.16 were in scope of the
comment.  However, there is nothing about 8.3.5.12 in your proposed changes.

Instruct the editor to replace in Clause 8.3.5.3.4 [PHY-DATA.indication]:

“The effect of receipt of this primitive by the MAC is unspecified”

With

“The receipt of this primitive by the MAC entity causes the MAC to collect the data octet provided by the PHY layer and to add it to the newly created A-MPDU in the current MAC RX state.”

> What is “the newly created A-MPDU”?  There is nothing in 8.3.5.3 about creation of anything.

[George] Please refer to Figure 5-1- MAC data plane architecture

> What if the PPDU doesn’t contain an A-MPDU?

[George] Please refer to Figure 5-1- MAC data plane architecture

That doesn't work, because:

a) 8.3.5 does not refer to Figure 5-1

b) Anyway, Figure 5-1 is just a list of all possible steps.  The steps
are not always present.  As the text above it says,
"
During reception, a received Data frame goes through processes of possible A-MPDU deaggregation,
MPDU header and cyclic redundancy code (CRC) validation, Address 1 address filtering, block ack
scoreboarding(#1561), duplicate removal, decryption, possible reordering if the block ack mechanism is
used, replay detection, defragmentation, integrity checking, SYNRA receive filtering when the
corresponding link is a general link,(11ak) possible A-MSDU deaggregation, and possible MSDU rate
limiting.
"

Consider the case of reception of a DSSS PPDU.  There is no A-MPDU to
create or collect octets for.

> What is “the current MAC RX state”?

[George] This is a good point. I could replace “MAC RX state” with “MAC MSDU receiving flow”

At least this needs to be MPDU, not MSDU.

      Instruct the editor to replace in Clause 8.3.5.13.4 [PHY-RXSTART.indication]:

“The effect of receipt of this primitive by the MAC is unspecified”

With

“The receipt of this primitive by the MAC entity causes the MAC to change the state from CS/CCA to RX state and prepare for the creation of a new A-MPDU from the octets provided by PHY layer during the MAC RX state.”

> I don’t think the MAC has “CS/CCA” and “RX” states.  These are states of the PHY (see Figures 15-9, 17-20, 19-27, etc.).

[George] This is a good point. I should probably replace “MAC RX state” with “MAC MSDU receiving flow”

And what about the "change the state from CS/CCA to RX state"?

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk