Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Remove channel 14

Mike/Mark/et. al.,

I don’t quite understand what the problem is.  Local regulation ALWAYS trumps (sic) anything in a voluntary standard (noting that standards can be cited in regulations and consequently become regulatory matter which to my knowledge is NOT the case for .11 … yet!).  I’ve always considered the “regulatory info/annexes” in .11 as informative anyway.  Is there a reason to believe that an implementer could use reliance on a standard over such regulations as an argument in a court of law to “prove his conformance case” against a regulator?

RR

From: ***** 802.11 REVm - Revision Maintainance List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of M Montemurro
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 6:28 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Remove channel 14

Mark and all,

Thanks for your feedback.

Attached (because I don't have a better way to show it) is the reference that Peter sent me that prompted me to propose this change.

Another option is to add a note in the table to clearly indicate that these operating classes the behavior is restricted to 11b only. (perhaps in the Behavior Limits set column).

I guess one other question I have (that always comes up in the discussion about channel 14) is are there any recent devices that actually support operation on channel 14?

Cheers,

Mike