From: Mark Rison [mailto:m.rison@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 5:05 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] 11me/D0.0 CID 193 (per-whatness of RCs)

Sorry, I found a mistake in my proposed resolution for CID 171:

the CCMP/GCMP replay rules also apply to unicast MMPDUs.  Update:

Identifiers

Comment

Proposed change

CID 171

Mark RISON

12.5.3.4.4

It is not clear what replay counter to use for non-QoS Data frames.  5.1.1.3 suggests TID 0: "At QoS STAs associated in a QoS BSS, MSDUs with a priority of Contention are considered equivalent to MSDUs with TID 0." (this is perhaps tx not rx though)

At the end of item b) in 12.5.3.4.4 PN and replay detection and 12.5.5.4.4 PN and replay detection add "For the purposes of replay detection Data frames that have the QoS subfield of the Subtype subfield equal to 0 are treated as having TID 0.".  At the start of each subclause change "To effect replay detection," to "To effect replay detection for (QoS) Data frames,"

12.5.3.4.4 does not explicitly cover replay counters for non-QoS Data frames:

The following processing rules are used to detect replay:

a) The receiver shall maintain a separate set of replay counters for each PTKSA, GTKSA, and protocol version value. The receiver initializes these replay counters to 0 when it resets the temporal key for a peer. The replay counter is set to the PN value of accepted CCMP MPDUs.

b) For each PTKSA, GTKSA, and protocol version value, the recipient shall maintain a separate replay counter for each TID, subject to the limitation of the number of supported replay counters indicated in the RSN Capabilities field (see 9.4.2.24 (RSNE)), and shall use the PN from a received frame to detect replayed frames. A replayed frame occurs when the PN from a received frame is less than or equal to the current replay counter value for the frame’s MSDU or A-MSDU priority and frame type.

[…]

d) The receiver shall discard any Data frame that is received with its PN less than or equal to the value

of the replay counter that is associated with the TA and priority value of the received MPDU.

However, d) (but not b)) is using the concept of a “priority value” for the MPDU, which per CID 212 is actually referring to 12.5.3.3.1 General.  For PV0 this is:

If the Type field of the Frame Control field is 10 (Data frame) and there is a QoS Control field present in the MPDU header, the priority value of the MPDU is equal to the value of the TID subfield of the QoS Control field (bits 0 to 3 of the QoS Control field). If the Type field of the Frame Control field is 00 (Management frame) and the frame is a QMF, the priority value of the MPDU is equal to the value in the ACI subfield of the Sequence Number field. Otherwise, the priority value of the MPDU is equal to the fixed value 0.

and for PV1 this is:

If the MPDU is a QoS Data MPDU, the priority value of the MPDU is equal to the value of the PTID subfield of the Frame Control field. If the Type field of the Frame Control field is 001 (Management frame) and the frame is a QMF, the priority value of the MPDU is equal to the value in the ACI subfield of the Sequence Number field. Otherwise, the priority value of the MPDU is equal to the fixed value 0.

Note the former does yield 0 for (PV0) non-QoS Data frames.  Also note that the reference in b) to the frame type is bogus, since b) is only about Data frames (c) is for robust Management frames).

Also, “To effect replay detection, the receiver extracts the PN from the CCMP header.” is not specific enough.  It’s not so extracted for groupcast robust Management frames, which are done under BIP not CCMP (the proposed change is wrong here; this subclause also covers individually addressed robust Management frames too).

Proposed changes:

Change 12.5.3.4.4 PN and replay detection as follows:

To effect replay detection for Data or individually addressed robust Management frames (see 12.5.4.6 (BIP reception) for group addressed robust Management and protected Beacon frames), the receiver extracts the PN from the CCMP header.

[…]

The following processing rules are used to detect replay:

a) The receiver shall maintain a separate set of replay counters for each PTKSA, GTKSA, and protocol version value. The receiver initializes these replay counters to 0 when it resets the temporal key for a peer. The replay counter is set to the PN value of accepted CCMP MPDUs.

b) For each PTKSA, GTKSA, and protocol version value, the recipient shall maintain a separate replay counter for each TIDMPDU priority value (see 12.5.3.3.1), subject to the limitation of the number of supported replay counters indicated in the RSN Capabilities field (see 9.4.2.24 (RSNE)), and shall use the PN from a received frame to detect replayed frames. A replayed frame occurs when the PN from a received frame is less than or equal to the current replay counter value for the frame’s MSDU or A-MSDUMPDU priority value and frame type.

[…]

d) The receiver shall discard any Data frame that is received with its PN less than or equal to the value of the replay counter that is associated with the TA and MPDU priority value of the received MPDU.

Change 12.5.5.4.4 PN and replay detection as follows:

To effect replay detection for Data or individually addressed robust Management frames (see 12.5.4.6 (BIP reception) for group addressed robust Management and protected Beacon frames), the receiver extracts the PN from the GCMP header. […] The following processing rules are used to detect replay:

a) The receiver shall maintain a separate set of replay counters for each PTKSA and GTKSA. The receiver initializes these replay counters to 0 when it resets the temporal key for a peer. The replay counter is set to the PN value of accepted GCMP MPDUs.

b) For each PTKSA and GTKSA, the recipient shall maintain a separate replay counter for each TIDMPDU priority value (see 12.5.3.3.1), subject to the limitation of the number of supported replay counters indicated in the RSN Capabilities field (see 9.4.2.24 (RSNE)), and shall use the PN from a received frame to detect replayed frames. A replayed frame occurs when the PN from a received frame is less than or equal to the current replay counter value for the frame’s MSDU or A-MSDUMPDU priority value and frame type.

[…]

d) The receiver shall discard any Data frame that is received with its PN less than or equal to the value of the replay counter that is associated with the TA and MPDU priority value of the received MPDU.

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk