[STDS-802-11-TGM] REVme CID on MSDU lifetime timer

All,

On today’s REVme call, we considered the CID shown below.

The gist of this is that in the current Standard we have a difference between DCF and EDCA on how an MSDU (or MMPDU) lifetime is timed.  Nobody on the call was sure if this was correct, or if these should be aligned.  Or, alternatively, can/should we added a NOTE where the lifetime timer is described (in both the DCF and EDCA clauses) saying that this is intentionally different.

If anyone has some historical knowledge, or implementation detail, around these timers and can give some feedback, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.  Mark

CID

Clause

Page

Line

Comment

Proposed Change

2054

10.23.2.12.1

Re the transmit MSDU/MMPDU timer, for EDCA it's "The transmit MSDU/MMPDU timer shall be started when the MSDU/
MMPDU is passed to the MAC." (which I assume means the MA-UNITDATA.request) but for DCF, it's "The timer starts on the initial attempt to transmit the MSDU/MMPDU, or first fragment of
the MSDU/MMPDU if the MSDU/MMPDU is fragmented."  Is this intentional?

Add a "NOTE---The timer is started at different times for DCF and EDCA."