Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] CID 1218 "poll" for opinions

Mark (H.), all,

I’ll take the liberty of responding mainly to the last phrase in your poll (“or is there another suggestion?”).

I suggest that we should start with the issue of whether it is desirable to have the language in the current draft (at the end of the cited text) saying that “the behavior is undefined”.

I further suggest that the answer to this is “no”, and that we should change that to something else.

Historically, setting the reserved bit to 1 in the 11a/11g OFDM L-SIG led to “undefined” behavior, in the sense that some deployed chipsets simply didn’t defer for the full signaled duration, in some circumstances. Without rehashing the rights and wrongs of this (“wrongs”, if you ask me, but there is disagreement on this point to this day), I think we should not have a situation where unexpected use of reserved fields voids any and all normative statements in the spec.

If “the behavior is undefined” means “there are no *new*, extra requirements (but all the old ones still hold good)”, that would be fine. But does it? The requirement to defer for the full signaled duration contained no exception “except when the L-SIG reserved bit is set to 1”, but that’s the way it was read by some.

I was not able to find any other instance of “the behavior is undefined”, or anything like it, anywhere in the draft.

I suggest we should decide this issue first. As an initial suggestion, I would prefer to change “the behavior is undefined” to “the field is ignored”.

Regards,

Sean