Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Thread related to Table E-12 discussion

Hi Andrew, all

Thanks for this contribution. I believe CID 2323 has been assigned to me, but of course inputs are always welcome!

I believe your discussion and proposal relates to two separate aspects:

Allow me to comment on each of those separately.

Regarding (1), despite the (repeated) assertions in 0350r2, the premise of the CID is valid because Annex E.2.7 - including the interpretation of Regulatory Info subfield in Table E-12 - has already been generalized (compared to the baseline text in 11ax-2021) to operation outside the US as per REVme D1.0. The CID is pointing out that, when that generalization was made, the corresponding definition in Clause 9 was not properly updated.
Slide 8 of 0350r2 talks about â??convergence of regulationsâ?? across countries, however whether or not regulatory domains harmonize on regulatory rules is unrelated to whether or not the field in 802.11 standard is defined for operation in those countries. Note this generalization is not specific to C2C - for example VLP operation is allowed in various countries outside the US and so the REVme D1.0 definition applies to those devices too.

I disagree with a number of other assertions in 0350r2, but in the interests of simplicity will focus on the proposed changes.

Regarding (2), as mentioned above that is a new feature outside the scope of the CID.
I am not convinced of the justification for such feature, but even if there is such, I think it should be specified on a channel-specific basis, and there is existing features in the standard (e.g. 11.21.15 Channel Usage procedures) that could be used.

Thanks
Thomas