Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] CID 2120 (was: Thread related to Table E-12 discussion)

Hi Mark

the so-called channel starting frequency, i.e.

the frequency corresponding to channel 0

Yes I think this is certainly one of the key roles of the OpClass - so that the OpClass+ChanNum/Index duple uniquely identifies a channel (since ChanNum/Index alone is not unique).

If we want it to specify

anything else, e.g. some kind of bandwidth, then we need in each

case state explicitly whether it's the BSS bandwidth or the operating

bandwidth or the channel spacing or what

I would support a clarification that an Operating Class indicates a transmission bandwidth on that channel (not just the spacing between the channels). That said, it is already sort-of implied by the sentence “Channel spacing is the frequency difference between nonoverlapping adjacent channel center frequencies when using the maximum bandwidth of one frequency segment allowed for this operating class”.

As for “BSS bandwidth”, I think that is context specific. Maybe it would be good to explicitly define this term - my understanding based on usage of the term in the standard is that it means the maximum nominal bandwidth (as defined in relevant PHY clauses) that can be used by PPDUs transmitted in the BSS. In any case, some instances of the Operating Class field might indicate a BSS bandwidth, but other instances do not.

As for the other items you raise, I agree we have not been very consistent regarding the mutability of a given OpClass - which can give rise to ambiguity as to which channels a device supports even when it advertises support for a given OpClass (e.g. in Supported Operating Classes element), and we might do well to define ground rules in a note going forward.

Thanks
Thomas

On Mar 22, 2022 at 1:03:51 PM, Mark Rison <m.rison@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mark Rison, can you provide some additional background to your comment CID2120?

Operating classes are a complete mess.  Every time we find some regulatory

or other issue we say "ah, we can hack operating classes to handle this",

forgetting what operating classes have previously been said to provide.

So does an operating class specify:

- the set of channels that can be used and/or must be supported?  No, we've

added channels to operating classes in the past (and maybe removed them too?)

- the behaviour limits?  No, we've added and removed them in the past

- the channel spacing?  Maybe … except when instead it's deemed to

specify the BSS bandwidth.  Or maybe the operating bandwidth?

- the "phase" of valid channels within the band (e.g. are valid channels

always at channel number 4n?)?  No, e.g. US OC 130 has centre frequency

indices 42, 58, 106, 122, 138, 155

- etc.

I think we should stop pretending that an operating class specifies

anything other than the so-called channel starting frequency, i.e.

the frequency corresponding to channel 0.  If we want it to specify

anything else, e.g. some kind of bandwidth, then we need in each

case state explicitly whether it's the BSS bandwidth or the operating

bandwidth or the channel spacing or what.

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk