Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] CIDs 7011, 7014 & 7015

Hi Mark,

There is some ebb and flow here, i.e. we previously gave up five S1G related global operating classes when a particular country decided to re-farm that part of their spectrum. In this particular case we are mainly addressing an issue that is due to not providing guard bands when the original S1G channelization was included in 802.11ah-2016 for countries that accept FCC testing, and not due to countries changing their rules.

However I do share your concern over this particular table. We are currently dependent on a single global operating classes table because certain industry specifications that make use of operating classes assume the use of the global operating classes table and lack the means to specify a different operating classes table. To solve this problem probably requires wider consultation that is outside the scope of the current comment. New bands may open up in future so it is a reasonable topic for study. Such a study might include the method of describing primary and operating channels and related topics.

All that said, there are 63 vendor specific operating classes in the global operating classes table some of which which might be reallocated as an alternative, again after consultation.

Thanks,
Dave G