[STDS-802-11] IEEE 802.11 received conditional approval to move 802.11ac to sponsor ballot and form a new study group titled High Efficiency WLAN (HEW)

Dear 802.11,

We just completed our March 802 plenary meeting last Friday evening in Orlando, FL.

Among the various topics discussed during the week 802.11 had submitted two topics for the Executive Committee agenda:

Conditional approval to move 802.11ac to sponsor ballot

Approval to form a new study group titled High Efficiency WLAN (HEW)

Both of these requests were approved

Regarding 802.11ac

Please note that working group letter ballot 194 on 802.11ac D5.0 is currently underway. Ballot instructions can be found at:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/

Depending on the results of the WG ballot, Sponsor Ballot may begin in April and possibly conclude just prior to our May interim meeting.

Regarding the HEW Study Group

I have appointed Laurent Cariou (Orange) as the chair pro-tem of the study group. He will prepare the study group for operation in our May meeting.

Also note that a call for nominations for the HEW Study Group chair is now open. Nominees for the position of Study Group chair will close during the 802.11 opening plenary on Monday May 13. During the first session of the Study Group  a chair selection vote will occur. The selected party will be confirmed by the WG during the mid-week plenary.

NB: When the study group convenes it is likely they will agree to fill additional vice chair and secretary positions.

Regarding the May meeting in Waikoloa

Early bird meeting registration closes :   Monday April 1, 2013    @ 6pm Pacific Time

  • $600 US for attendees staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
  • $900 US for all others (including local attendees not staying at the group hotel)

http://www.ieee802.org/11/Meetings/Meeting_Plan.html

Hotel rooms are still available at the Hilton Waikoloa but note that as of Tuesday March 19th the early bird rooms at a rate of $149 are sold out. The rates are currently $169.00.

Regards,

Bruce Kraemer

Chair IEEE 802.11