[STDS-802-11] November 2014 802 plenary session

Dear 802.11 members,

I sent out an email giving all the fact and figures related to the next session.

Please note that the early registration deadline will have passed by the start of the 802 wireless interim.

This is a hint you should take action now,  or at least put a reminder in your calendar to register in plenty of time.

The Hotel reservation deadline is October 18.   The group rate,  and indeed availability of rooms is dependent

on our meeting planners and officers estimating demand accurately enough.

Demand has to be predicted and is locked into the contract at various stages months (and sometimes years)

in advance.  If we are overly-optimistic,  and far fewer than expected people turn up,  we generally are hit with penalties or increased costs

from the hotel for not meeting a contracted take-up.   Those increased costs translate to increased meeting fees

in future meetings.   If we are overly-pessimistic,  and too many people turn up,  the hotel may have sold its

other rooms,  and folks have to stay nearby.

If you look at the attendance history slides in Jon’s treasurer’s report,  you will see that our attendance

fluctuates significantly.  This means we end up erring in both directions.

The reason I’m taking the time to explain this is that (according to the logic above)

the meeting planners cannot guarantee that you will be able to book a room even before the deadline.   So it is your best interest to

book a room as soon as you have determined your travel plans.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +44 (7920) 084 900 (mobile,  UK)