[STDS-802-11] Questions -- EPD for IEEE 802.11 5.9GHz Operations

Dick,

many thanks for your presentation you gave today in the dot11
WG (https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-1521-01-000m-epd-for-ieee802-11-5-9ghz-operations.pptx).

I support in general the optimization you propose to be made given that we have a full understanding
on the potential implications, and given that are are none causing compatibility issues
with certified or deployed equipment.

I have some initial questions.

(1) Involved (government) entities

	(1a) Which (government) entities are involved in setting the rules and certifying
	equipment for 5.9GHz operation?  I do not only ask this for the US, I would like
	to see an overview for all possible involved entities (Americas, Europe, Asia, etc.)

	(1b) Has any of those entities already approved a rule set / requirement document
	that cites 802.11p (as standing today)?

	(1c) Are there any testing / certification programs that test agains 802.11p (as it stands
	today) for 5.9GHz operations?

ad 1) I understand that it might be impossible to get an official response from all involved
	(government) entities that states "we have not approved any requirement that points
	to 802.11p as it exists today";  but I would like to see a complete, documented analysis of the
	status quo to make a profound decision on the suggested changes.

(2) Deployed system

	(2a) Are there any (known) deployments that build upon 802.11p as it exists today?

(3) Involved product manufacturers.

	(2a) Are you aware of any manufacturer / implementer that has (pending) products
	that implement 802.11p as it exists today?

ad 2 & 3) I know you already stated that you are personally not aware of any such deployment /
	manufacturers. I just added (2) & (3) for other potentially involved decision maker to check
	themselves and consider this issue.

Answering all three points will also help to identify the set of entities that should be actively
informed if 802.11 adopts the changes you propose as they will break backward compatibility.

Many thanks in advance for kindly considering my questions.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Emmelmann
e-mail:  emmelmann@xxxxxxxx  web:  http://www.emmelmann.org